Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Depp, Law, and Farrell...all for one

What's up with three actors substituting for Heath Ledger in his unfinished movie? I'll tell you what's up: my respect for actors and human beings. I think it is so fantastic that Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell (though this choice makes me skeptical on choice of actor) have reportedly stepped up to share the character played by Heath Ledger in the unfinished film "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus."



Ledger's unfinished film centers around a fantastical world with three dimensions, making it easy to allow the face of Ledger's character to change. Apparently, the film's budget was supported by the name Ledger carried into the project, so bringing in three well-known actors was a necessity for the production team. While I am sure that these three actors will be getting paid for their performances, I think it takes great humbleness to set aside ego and support a fallen comrade. Most actors find it degrading to step in as a so-called "substitute," but I would not be surprised for anyone to consider it an honor to sub for the great Heath Ledger. Yes, I understand he was not around for that long, nor was he involved in many well-known projects, but in anything I have seen him in, I have never been disappointed, and I have always been pleasantly surprised. I am incredibly happy that Ledger was able to finish the role as Joker, however, for the upcoming Batman sequel. Just the pictures of his character makes me eager to watch the movie and see Ledger's take on one of the greatest villains of all time. The last actor to play the Joker, Jack Nicholson, is one of the toughest acts to follow, but it has been said that while Nicholson focused on the Joker's comedicly evil side, Ledger focused more on the evil itself. I am sure Ledger's performance will have more people wishing he had stayed around longer, if not indefinitely.

No comments:

Richard Gere and I

Richard Gere and I