Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nixon pardon #2?

What's up with Cynthia Nixon revealing her year-and-a-half battle with breast cancer? Well, the Sex and the City star was diagnosed with breast cancer in the midst of her starring role in the Broadway play The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in 2006, but chose to conceal the diagnosis from the media, and the world, for fear of persecution from paparazzi and the public. Now cancer-free, Nixon is coming out about her battle, which wasn't a big surprise to her, as her mother fought, and defeated, the same disease when Nixon was 12 years old.

"I always sort of thought, 'I'm probably going to get breast cancer," she said. "There's a really good chance." --Cynthia Nixon

Nixon discovered the cancer during a routine mammogram where she learned of a "small" cancer spot that needed to be removed. Following the surgery, which was scheduled the very Sunday after the discovery so she wouldn't miss any performances, she underwent six-and-a-half weeks of daily radiation treatment. Now, Nixon is the new spokeswoman for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.

I think it is actually kind of sad that Nixon had to be so careful to keep her sickness a secret. Her fans could have supported her, but instead, Nixon had to hide because the media is so obsessed with knowing everything. This subject coincides with the final project I am doing for my Journalism class, in that the media may go too far in its obsession with the lives of celebrities.

What would have happened if Nixon had died? Her fans would have felt powerless and guilty for not being able to support her. I mean, I am glad she is healthy and cancer-free, but I feel like she should have been able to have the extra strength from her fan base. I mean, without fans, how can you be a celebrity?

No comments:

Richard Gere and I

Richard Gere and I