Thursday, March 27, 2008

First comes divorce then comes marriage...and another divorce

What's up with divorce number two for movie star/ comedian Robin Williams? Well, the ultra famous 56-year-old actor's wife of nearly 19 years, Marsha Garces Williams, filed for a petition for dissolution of marriage citing irreconcilable differences. While underlying reasons for their divorce have not yet been manifested into rumors, the real juiciness of this piece of gossip actually comes from how the two got married in the first place. Marsha Garces met Williams when she became the nanny for his son Zachary, from his first marriage to Valerie Velardi.

Williams divorced Velardi after ten years of marriage, and a two-year affair with a cocktail waitress who later sued him for giving her Herpes without telling her. (I know, crazy, right? How does Williams avoid being in the tabloids?) Williams then went on to marry Garces and have two children, Zelda and Cody.

Now, I don’t know if I am the only one here who didn’t know this, but since when is Robin Williams an adulterer, a drug addict and an alcoholic. Yes, he is both of the latter two, which I shockingly discovered after doing more research on pending divorce number two. Apparently, Williams was a cocaine addict, a problem he was once quoted as jokingly saying, “is God’s way of telling you that you make too much money.

As for being an alcoholic, it is said that Williams was sober for twenty years until recently falling off the wagon, something that provoked his marriage to Garces who reportedly told the award-winning actor that he had to check into rehab or check out of their marriage. While Williams did, in fact, check into rehab, I suppose there may have been other things not working for them. The longer I think about it, however, the more I can see the possibility of a dangerous lifestyle for the comedian, considering the raunchiness of his stand-ups and outrageous public statements. I suppose the shock comes from the fact that I grew up with Williams’ movies; laughing and loving his characters as if they were my closest friends.

A shame, really.

I feel bad for Williams, but he’s already been through one divorce, so I think he can make it through another one. Although it may hurt him more this time around, if he remembers any of his stand-up routines: “Ah yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet.”

No comments:

Richard Gere and I

Richard Gere and I